Asphalt Shingle Roofs for Homeowners
Asphalt shingles (also called composition roofs) are a relatively inexpensive roofing solution compared with other options. In addition to the low cost, they are easy to install and durable. Asphalt shingles should last from 10 to 30 years depending on type, with homes in warm areas needing roofing replacement sooner than homes in cooler climates. They are available in two varieties — fiberglass and organic — and are manufactured in two different types: three-tab shingles (estimated 13-15 year life) and architectural shingles (estimated 17-20 year life).
- Architecturally stylish but practically priced—with a Lifetime ltd. warranty.
- Features GAF’s “High Definition” color blends and enhanced shadow effect for a genuine wood-shake look.
- Class A fire rating from Underwriters Laboratories, the highest rating possible.
- Designed with Advanced Protection® technology, which minimizes the use of natural resources while providing superior protection for your home
Shingle Roof Cost
The average cost to install an asphalt shingle roof is anywhere between $1,700 and $8,400 depending on the slope, pitch and size of your roof. The material cost factors into that price, and as such shingle prices vary depending on your location and the specific product.
Here are some major brands and types with their average prices per square foot:
$21.95-$27.95 per square foot
- Lifetime Timberline Shingles: $27.95 per square foot — A high performing shingle, the Lifetime Timberline Shingles offered by GAF received a Class A fire rating. They are installed with Dura Grip to ensure shingles don’t fall off when exposed to high winds. Colors vary by location and include charcoal and slate greys, hickory brown and a darker “weathered wood” brown.
- 25-Year Royal Sovereign: $21.95 per square foot — These shingles look like they cost a lot of money but are an economical option for homebuyers. They are designed with both aesthetic appeal and safety in mind and can withstand winds up to 150 miles per hour.
$21.95-$27.95 per square foot
- Three-Tab Asphalt Shingles: Owens Corning shingles are available at Lowe’s and sell for an average price of $21.95 to $27.95 per square foot. The shingles are available for the same price in a wide variety of colors, ranging from standard grey, black and tan to more unique colors such as Spanish red and green.
Due to slope, a roof generally takes up more square footage than the house it sits on, meaning you’ll need materials to cover more square footage than your house. For instance, an average size house is 1,500 square feet, but the roof could be up to 2,100 square feet. It’s typical to add on an additional 10 percent for waste on a simple roof project and up to 15 percent for a more complex and complicated installation job.
Building materials are generally sold by the “square,” and each square covers 100 feet. During installation for asphalt shingle roofing, a base is laid down first. The shingles are then nailed, tarred or locked into place so they overlap each other. You will need to adjust your asphalt shingle installation based on your climate, and of particular concern are areas in high-wind regions or on the coast. The Federal Emergency Management Agency provides tips for installing asphalt shingle roofing in these locations that require extra attention.